3/30/2010

Twins at 15 or 16 weeks, depending on whether or not you're a doctor.

I thought I would do a Fetus and Fetus update (did that make anyone else think of "Marley and Marley" from A Muppet Christmas Carol?)

The title says 15 or 16 weeks, because by the first ultrasound, where they dated the pregnancy, I'm 15 weeks and 1 day. According to what I know, I'm pretty sure that I'm closer to 16 weeks. So here are what the twins looks like... kind of.

These twins are fraternal, and our twins are identical. The biggest differences are that our babies only have one placenta, and they're in the same sac with a thin dividing membrane rather than a thick sac around each one. Also, our babies have less space than this, but I only know that because of the ultrasound I had yesterday.

Yep, I had my last 4 week ultrasound yesterday! From now on they'll be every two weeks. The babies are still looking good, although they're not exactly the same size anymore. Baby A was about 4 ounces, and Baby B was 3 ounces, but their head sizes were measuring within a day of each other, and they're both still measuring bigger than 15 weeks. Plus, Baby A was dominating the view and Baby B was all stuck and tucked down in a corner so the ultrasound tech had a hard time getting a good view.

We couldn't get a peek at the gender, either, because of the way they were situated. 15 weeks is still a little early for that anyway. In 2 weeks we'll have a better shot :) It was kind of a funny appointment, though. The babies kept wiggling and kicking each other, and it looked like they were trying to hold hands through the membrane :) I thought it was pretty cute. Baby A was sitting on the placenta, and he/she kept bouncing up and down on it like a trampoline.

I'm carrying the twins really low like I did with Atticus, which partly accounts for them not having as much space. I'm pretty sure that in a week or two my uterus will remember all of that nice space that's currently occupied by my stomach and lungs and other, less necessary organs.

Developmentally, not a whole lot is happening right now. They're mostly getting bigger. Right now they're each about the size of an avocado, and growing toenails. Really. That's it. The rest of the weekly update is all about how I'm supposed to feel all glowy and full of energy, and how puking should be a thing of the past. Babycenter.com is full of hilarity!

I didn't get to take home any pictures this time, but honestly there weren't any good ones anyway. They were so mashed together in there it was pretty hard to tell what belonged to who. As they (and I) get bigger, we should be able to get some better pictures.

5 comments:

Lorna said...

Glad my nephews are looking good! Love you all!

Candice said...

Wow. How exciting!

They will be here before you know it.

The Rose Family said...

I'm right there with you on the "baby crowding out unnecessary organs" thing. I'm so short that I can't even imagine how I'd survive a twin pregnancy-- I'd probably have to sleep standing up to have room for my lungs! You sound very upbeat and excited. Hope you are feeling well and Atticus is being a good son and letting you sleep.

Leigh-Ann said...

So precious! I can't wait to see the wee babes out of the womb...

red said...

This is so cool to follow you through this pregnancy Shell. I hope your organs survive the beating and squishing process.