3/15/2009

Baby Baby Baby

It's been a while since I posted something about the baby, so I thought I would post this! Baby Atticus has been so active lately, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll come out dancing. And he has also taken to sticking out right to the left of my belly button. All the time. I'm not sure if it's a knee or an elbow, but he loves to jab it straight out, causing mommy to make a weird face which causes strangers to stare at her. He's also taking advantage of the space by doing somersaults, which feels SO weird.

Developmentally, he's getting fatter, probably with adorable dimples like his daddy :) He's 16 inches long, 3.3 pounds, and heading into a growth spurt.



This Saturday, Trevor and I went to an all day birthing/newborn care class provided by the hospital. It was great and we learned some good pain management techniques, but I have to admit that we spent a lot of time laughing. We did practice sessions throughout the day, where the teacher would time out "contractions", and our labor coach had to help us through whatever technique we had been talking about. This was great for the most part, but we had a hard time with the visualization technique... probably because our teacher kept talking about purple clouds wrapping around her.

Anyway, our labor coach was to come up with a place to "take" us for five minutes, to remove us from the pain and stress of the contraction. By the third time we had to do this, Trevor and I were in fits of giggles. Trevor said "I can't think of anywhere to take you!", so I suggested "Take me to the fair, I love the fair."

"I hate the stupid fair!"

"You're not the one in labor! Tell me about the baby sheep and the fair rides and the hypnotists and the giant lemonades."

"Fine. We get in the stupid car and drive to the dumb fair. We go on the rides that make me puke and then I lose my wallet. We eat some corn dogs and elephant ears that make us sick and then we get in the car and get stuck in the traffic on the way home."

"I hate elephant ears, I'd rather get some cinnamon almonds."

"I want a funnel cake."

"Okay, get a funnel cake. Tell me about the baby animals."

"There are baby horses, baby cows..."

"Baby pigs! Oh, are there baby sheep?"

"Sure."

This went on for five minutes. The rest of the couples seemed to be having an equally hard time with it, because I'm pretty sure all ten couples were laughing... even the girl who was horribly uncomfortable with twins. I guess the lesson here is that if we want to so this, I'd better write out a script for him to read.

6 comments:

Neighbor Keith said...

Sounds like the experience I had with Courtney to get blood taken. She hates needles, and started freaking out as soon as she sat down in the chair. She's sobbing and yelling "It's not worth it! I'll never immigrate!" and "You did this to me!" (Which I think she pulled out too soon, as it's usually reserved for labor, but techincally, it's my fault that she had to get blood tests for immigration.) As they rub down her veins she yells, "Sing me a song!" and I tell you what, I totally blanked. I had no idea what I was going to sing, so I started singing "You are my sunshine," and the other nurse (the one we had originally who went to get a more seasoned nurse who sat her in the chair) started singing along with me. I'm glad she did, too, because apparently I didn't get the words right (which Courtney was pretty upset with me for). We made it out of there alive--barely. Now, at least, I can tell you exactly what I'm going to sing the next time she's in mild discomfort.

Lorna said...

that makes me laugh:)

Julie said...

When I delivered my kids I would relax by imagining that I was turning into chocolate pudding! yum! I would start at my toes and work my way up! Jello works to! but start practicing now,so you will be good at it when the baby comes. You are going to make the cutest parents ! luckey little boy!

mr.math said...

I love this technique and started using it myself at the dentist. Now I almost always fall asleep in the chair. Uh, never did work for Lisa - too much of a realist. But hey, I love the fair too, so at my next cleaning I'm going there!

Big Bopper said...

This is the funniest post ever - made even more so by the great comments. I have to admit that I never have had problems with the dentist, or fear of pain or the like. This is very likely because my mind is never thinking about anything anyway. It's hard to "go some where" in you mind if you mind is not anywhere to begin with.

Evenspor said...

If he makes you laugh the whole time, that just might work.

I made Shane sing to me pretty much through the whole labor with Paul. He was probably pretty hoarse by the end, but it worked for me. :-D