11/30/2007

Christmas Gift Giving

I have this friend. We had a few classes together in High School, and have somewhat kept in touch since then. She posted a blog letting everyone know that she was "quitting Christmas" this year. She went on to say that she loves to spend time with friends and family, but she doesn't love that she has to buy things for them to show that she cares. So she invited us to spend time with her instead.

This got me thinking. It's not a new, or original concept. I've heard of it a few times in years past, and people continue to do it, so whats up with that? I understand the thought behind it, and at first glance I even agree with it. At first glance.

After I read this friends' post, I added a comment without really thinking it through (something I do pretty often)saying something like "I might adopt this for our family this year!" But then I caught myself, and thought a little about what I was saying. My sister in law just found out she's pregnant, so I'd be buying things for her anyways. Which led to another thought... Am I really buying presents for my family and friends just because it's expected? Because I HAVE to? Because the sales are really good and cute wrapping paper is easy to find?

No. I'm not.

(Well, the sales do have an impact on my shopping habits, I can't deny that. But it's not why I'm giving stuff away to people I like)

I give presents to my friends and family at Christmastime, on birthdays, or any other time I feel like it because I LOVE them. A gift is just an extra emphasis to a hug or a kiss or a phone call you would give to someone. I am giving you people THINGS to remind you that I will be there with that hug or kiss or phone call that you are secretly thinking about right now. It's true that the presents aren't as important as the other things, but I just wanted you to know that I'm not giving you gifts just because it's expected or because I HAVE to. It's because I like you.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with what my friend is doing. Sometimes it's good to go back and remind yourself and everyone around you about what's the real core of things by stripping away all the other stuff. I've done it a couple of times myself, in different areas. This is really just a type up of what goes on in my head. After all, you read this at your own risk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, i just wanted to let you know that it is completely expected of you to get me something. because i NEED things to be happy. :D

P&M Inc. said...

Your first line is confusing to me. You have a friend?

No, really, that wouldn't be Erica Toth would it? I like her Mom. She's fun to talk to.