3/01/2010

And Babies Make Five

Have you guessed it yet from the title? Probably. But just in case you haven't...


I'm pregnant again. With twins.


Yep. Identical twins, actually, but I'll get into all of that in a minute.

You may be surprised to hear that we're expecting again so soon... so were we. But that surprise was nothing compared to the moments we found out that two were coming our way. That's three babies in 15 or 16 months. You could even say that's like have triplets. While typing this out, I'm kind of re-living the shock of first realizing all of this.

Here are the basic questions answered:

How far along are you?
11 weeks exactly, although today the babies measured 11 weeks 5 days.

How long have you known?
We found out 4 weeks ago

So when are you due?
The actual due date is September 20th, but since they're twins they're likely to come at the end of August.

How did you find out?
At an early ultrasound, routinely done to date the pregnancy. Trevor says he knew when he saw the two yolk sacs and heard the midwife say "OH." I however, had tuned everything out because I was focused on seeing my baby for the first time. And then I saw two heartbeats. And most of me said "Holy cow, TWINS." The other, much smaller part me of me said "The baby has two hearts!!" Of course, it's twins.

What are they, identical or fraternal?
Identical.

How do you know?
There's only one placenta. This makes it a high risk pregnancy, but at least they're in two different amniotic sacs. If they were in the same sac, it would mean bad news bears.

How are you feeling?
Horrible. Really, I mean, before I even knew they were twins I knew I was way sicker than last time. Heartburn too, and trouble sleeping because my bladder is the size of a penny. But it goes with the territory, and I have Zofran for the nausea, and it means the babies are happy in there. So there are worse things.

Have you lost your mind?
Yes.

Did you get twins because of the fertility drugs you took to get pregnant with Atticus?
No. Those drugs left my system a long time ago, and besides, identical twins are just random chance. In my opinion, my ovaries are vengeful little things; so to get even for bullying them around last time they dropped an egg when it was least expected. And then to one-up me, it divided into two babies.

Any cravings?
Pineapple, lots of watermelon, and today chocolate cake. But that's probably because it's Trevor's birthday today. Happy birthday Trevor! I love you! You get two fetuses for your birthday, okay?

Can we see pictures?
Sure.



Taken today. Isn't that a great picture of his profile? You can see the little nose and lips. Aw. We even got to see the little fingers today, but we didn't get a picture of it.


Taken today, measuring 11 weeks and 5 days. They were dancing and jumping and kicking each other. Baby B's feet are right by Baby A's head, so hopefully Baby A doesn't come out with a concussion :)

Taken 4 weeks ago, when we first found out they were twins. They still look like dinosaurs here, but you can clearly see there are two babies, and one uterus.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Michelle. Holy freaking cow. I was sure that this was a March fool's joke until I got to the pictures. Good luck babe!

Ian Sorensen said...

Wow! Congratulations! You are a brave woman! Good luck with those two little ones! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Evenspor said...

Woah. Congratulations and good luck.

Alexandria Rammell said...

you are in for a lot of fun! and I mean that! no joking. Twin would be so much fun and they will all be close in age. and atticus will be a big brother. the down side is your poor credit card/check book. hopefully one of the twins is a girl..then you could have another baby shower!! ya for michelle and trevor! what great news! is it to early to say..August 16th..thats when I think they will be born.

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! You'll do great. Maybe we'll have ours on the same day and then there will be 3 new Hall babies entering the world on the SAME DAY! So shoot for August 24th.

Michelle & Trevor said...

That would be really crazy if they were born on the 24th, because my birthday is the 23rd, and our anniversary is the 25th!

By the way, I hope you're feeling well, and that Tyler's being extra nice to his pregnant mommy :)

Delila said...

Love the blog! Glad to hear that it was good news about the two sacs-dont worry you will have lots of support-like Aunties who are eager to hold babies! Maybe we should just have a diaper shower! Well you are both awesome parents and those babies will be truly blessed to be born into your family-
Love ya lots-Congrats again!

The Rose Family said...

all the best wished to you. I'll be remembering you and your little one's in my prayers... though a HUGE part of me is thinking, "Thank goodness I've only got one in there!!!" Congrats, Michelle!

Karine Jones said...

Wow, congratulations Michelle and Trevor! Hope everything turns out okay for you and those little babes. Hope you feel better soon!

Julie said...

wow shelly, what great news, you know twins only come to really special mama's! I hope you are starting to feel better, could I help in anyway? I know it only takes 1 smelly diaper to push ya over the edge! I'm not far away if you need me!! love ya

ABIGAIL said...

You must be so surprised! My name is Abigail Pogrebin; I'm an identical twin and former 60 Minutes producer who just published a book about twins called "One and the Same." I think any parent of twins or multiples will find much to chew on and maybe some guidance as to how to dodge pitfalls of doubleness. I'd love to speak to you about the possibility of a book review and/or author Q&A. My email is apogrebin@gmail.com, website:www.abigailpogrebin.com.

Buell Fam said...

Oh my goodness - Congratulations! Heavenly Father must have great trust in you!