3/24/2010

Why on earth would you stick your baby in a bag?

I mentioned to a few people that I was getting a free Infantino Mei Tai carrier. This led to some questions like "Won't all infantino carriers will kill your baby?" or "What the heck is a Mei Tai?"

So I'm going to post this full explanation of why I'm getting a free Mei Tai, why I like babywearing, and why on earth would anyone put their baby in a bag. Okay, I'm not going to actually answer that last one because I have no idea.

When I was pregnant with Atticus, I read about babywearing and why some people carry their kids around in slings and wraps. It sounded pretty good to me, mostly because it meant I could keep a closer eye on Atticus, and because I feel like a dork pushing around a stroller by myself. Once I actually HAD Atticus, I liked it because I could discreetly nurse him in public, and because it was really easy to get him to fall asleep in it. Also, they're always recalling strollers for things like snapping off baby fingers or kids getting their heads stuck in them or babies falling out of them. And strollers are more expensive.

However, before I had him, I had no idea what kind of carrier I would like and what he would like, so I ended up with three styles of carriers: a back to front style where his legs hang out, a pouch (which is like a sling but without the confusing rings) and the Infantino baby bag.

The bag looked shifty to me from the beginning. It was all slouchy and bulky, and looked like it would fold a baby in half (and it turns out, it kind of does). Once I actually had practice with a newborn, and then a 4 month old, and then an 8 month old, it was pretty obvious to me that the Infantino bag carrier was unsafe, and I never used it. Not even once.

When I heard about the Infantino recall, it made sense. And being the kind of resourceful-mom-who-is-desperate-for-more-baby-stuff-since-she's-getting-two-more that I am, I wondered what kind of replacement products they were giving. And they're giving out Mei Tai carriers!! I love Mei Tai's! I just tried to make one, and even though it works well, it's ugly as sin! I could get a cute one! Yes. Now, what is a Mei Tai?

That is a Mei Tai carrier. A really cute one. It's like a soft cloth version of a baby backpack that can not only be worn front to back, but also on the hip. And speaking of the different ways to wear your baby, here are the only two safe options for a newborn baby.


image taken from Stand and Deliver

You should only carry your baby in positions that you would hold your baby. Upright, facing you, high on your chest, or in a cradle hold high on your chest. Not folded in half down by your waist.

Other holds become possible when your baby can sit up by themselves. Then you can face them out, so they can see what's going on, or if you have the right kind of carrier, you can put them high on your back (NOT down by your waist. It's unsafe, and hard on your back). When baby starts crawling, you can sit them on your hip. There's a PLETHORA of comfortable, safe ways to wear your baby.


image taken from Stand and Deliver

Honestly, does that really look alright to anyone? Anyway, if you're wondering, I have partly gotten over my aversion to strollers. With my belly getting bigger every day, and the weather getting nicer, I've had to pull the stroller out of the garage in order to get to the post office or park. I still feel like a dork when I'm pushing it down the street by myself, but after 5 months of being locked inside, our cabin fever has made it possible to ignore the feeling.

3 comments:

Evenspor said...

Mei Tais are cool! It's those car seat infant carriers I find most annoying. Why would anyone want to lug one of those around everywhere? We did find it useful in some cases this time around, and sometimes a stroller is most useful, and sometimes a sling or backpack is more useful. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of new tricks with three little ones. I have heard of using double slings for twins, but I don't know how well it works.

Big Bopper said...

It looks alright to me... but then I'm not a mother, I'm more of a carpenter/mechanic.

red said...

Thank you for your thorough explanation. It was very educational. It seems you are continuously preparing me to be a mother.

shbard!