3/08/2010

Open Letter to...


Dear Lady In Great Harvest,

When I went into Great Harvest tonight, it was no big deal, just a trip to get some bread. I had a buy two get one free coupon, so I was pretty excited to get some free pumpkin chocolate chip bread, but that was it. However, being in the store with you made me evening much more... interesting.

In case you don't remember, let me refresh your memory. I was the pregnant lady who walked in a few steps behind you. You were the woman in her 40's or 50's in the yellow sweater. There was no one else in the shop besides the smiley college aged employee. You walked up to the counter, with me right behind you, and proceeded to smack the counter with your hands when the employee asked how he could help you. You then started to yell. And things were just starting to get interesting.

I couldn't help but hear you, because of the previously stated yelling and because I was right behind you. I heard you berate this poor boy for not offering you a free slice of bread earlier. The boy, obviously in shock from being yelled at, seemed to speak without thinking when he said "But I did offer you a piece of bread! I remember!" At this point, you hit the counter more violently, smacking with both hands to accentuate each word: "NO. YOU. DID. NOT!" And then the whole story began to unfold. You had come in earlier with your son and his daughter, for a free slice of bread. There had been a few other customers in the store, so you grabbed the bread and knife and started to cut your own piece. The employee had then stopped you and told you that it was against store policy for customers to cut their own bread, but he would be glad to help you as soon as he was done helping another customer that he was already involved with. He quickly finished up and then asked you if you still wanted a free slice of bread as you stormed out huffily.

And then, for whatever reason, you saw fit to come back a few hours later, and yell and storm and hit counter tops with your hands. Because you didn't get a free slice of bread. And I got to witness all of this. I couldn't help stare at you (with my mouth open) and I nearly interceded on behalf of the employee, having worked with people like you before. Luckily, I think you saw the astonished look on my face and hopefully felt a little ashamed of yourself before storming out of the store again. The employee also wisely remained silent during the rest of your tirade after his first self-preservation instinct.

I realize that there are two sides to this story, but after witnessing your behavior, I am much more inclined to believe the employee. And I am so very grateful that I no longer work in the service industry.

I just wanted to thank you for the spice you gave to my night. Also for the opportunity to witness a full grown, well groomed and seemingly mentally stable woman throw a temper tantrum over a slice of bread that she didn't get for free.

Sincerely,
Michelle


5 comments:

Evenspor said...

Yeah.

Remember this later, when Atticus is 2, 3, 4 and is having a tantrum in the store (or doing some other innapropriate childish thing) and people are giving you dirty looks for not being able to control your child. You can be smug in the knowledge that adults act the same way, and at least he has the excuse of being small.

Lorna said...

Seriously? Some people should not be allowed in public. I think you found one of them!

Karine Jones said...

Some people these days... Sheesh!

red said...

People scare me. Especially women. But not you.
beduac?

P&M Inc. said...

Ah, but you DO still work in the service industry... you're a parent. And if you think this was bad, wait till you have teenagers. I'm sure you will handle them with the same even-tempered response as you handled the lady.