4/03/2009

Baby Poet!


I'm constantly surprised at how much of a personality that Atticus already has. I've been reading poetry out loud to him and myself, even though the effect is pretty much ruined by my inability to breathe normally. He already has favorite poems, and poems that I'm pretty sure he doesn't like. His favorites are

"The Bells" by Edgar Allan Poe
"The Duel" by Eugene Field
"Trees" by Joyce Kilmer
"Christma Everywhere" by Phillips Brooks
"Charge of the Light Brigade" by Tennyson

He does not like
"The House by the Side of the Road" by Sam Walter Foss
"Out to Old Aunt Mary's" by James Whitcomb Riley
"Hiawatha's Childhood" by Longfellow

I can't blame him for not liking Hiawatha's Childhood, but what's wrong with Out to Old Aunt Mary's? By the way, does anyone else feel like they can't take a breath anywhere in "The Bells"? Anywhere you try to breathe breaks the rhythm of the poem. For Reals.

By the way, if you're wondering how I know when a fetus likes something, it's because he'll twist around like he wants to listen more closely :)

1 comment:

P&M Inc. said...

I agree with you on all accounts. And I like "Out to Old aunt Mary's" too. Maybe he just has to grow into it.

try reading him "The Tell Take Heart" and see what he thinks. . .