11/12/2009

Trevor

I am so grateful for Trevor! He truly is my perfect fit. There's no one else who would put up with my eccentric ways and half-finished projects with such grace. Trevor is the most patient, kind, and giving man in the whole wide world.


Trevor on the very day that we met

By all rights, he should never have even been interested in me. Nearly every girl living in Riviera apartments would have loved to date him, most of them better looking and much more talented than me. The summer that we met we hung out a lot because of mutual friends, but by the fall we were both dating other people... with him dating my roommate. When they broke up, he stopped coming by the apartment, even to hang out with the the rest of our apartment "family" (there were 10 of us that played together pretty regularly). Soon after that, I broke up with my respective wrong choice too. I clearly remember mentally head slapping myself, "Why didn't I date Trevor? HE'S the kind of guy I should be after. What's wrong with me?"

To my surprise (shock, really) he called me a few weeks after that to ask me out on a date. We went to see "Savior of the World" together. I have a couple key memories of this date, one being that Trevor built the giant menorah they used in the play, and the other being that I tripped and fell flat on my face. Twice. I think I actually skinned my knee.


Trevor giving me a Spiderman placemat for Christmas, just after our first date. He still has that tie. It plays music. He accidentally set it off once during a prayer in church. I love him.

It was very near the end of the semester by now, and I was going home for my off-track, while Trevor was staying at school. I also knew that by the time I came back, Trevor would be transferring down to BYU in Provo, and I would probably never see him again. That didn't stop me from gladly holding his hand when he offered it the night before we both left for the semester. We didn't know it then, but that was also the night I met some of my in-laws for the first time. And what memory did I give them of their first future daughter-in law? A vision of me slipping and falling on the ice and landing on my rear end. His family was sure that Holly must be the one Trevor had a crush on.

Two nights later, Trevor was at home in Washington, and I was trapped at the airport with a delayed flight. I called him, and we talked for 5 hours, until my flight finally left at 2 in the morning. The next few months were spent the exact same way... on the phone. I can't tell you exactly when it happened, but by April, when I was going back to college, I had finangled my way into his heart, and we knew we were getting married.


This has turned into a pretty self-gratifying and epic post, but I think you can see how much I have to be grateful for: grateful that Trevor had the guts to ask out a girl when the courtship would not be easy, grateful that he has a sense of humor, grateful that his family never tried to talk him into someone better (despite my horrible first impression), and grateful that he chose me in the end. I love you Trevor!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really happy for you, Michelle. I can tell by the fact that you still have your awesometastic sense of humor and are married AND a mother, that you found an amazing man to share your life with.

I really do need to meet him someday, and Atticus too!

red said...

I love this post. It's perfect. You two are perfect!!! Oh the JOY in my heart!!! It's the hear-bursting kind of joy!!!!

[happy dance]
happy happy happy